Tuesday 2 July 2013

BOOK REVIEW - A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink

 It has been a little while since my last book review, but I have just recently finished this book and I knew I had to write down my thoughts ASAP.
I also hear it's July holidays so yay for that! What are you guys planning this Winter/Summer for any of you who are not in the Southern Hemisphere.

- - -

Title: A Temptation of Angels

Author: Michelle Zink

Published: 2012

Rating: ★★★★



When Helen Cartwright's home is burned down with her family still inside it, she escapes with nothing but a suitcase and a vow to find out who's responsible.
Launched into an underground London, where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil, Helen learns that she is one of a select few charged with a responsibility she has unknowingly been trained her whole life to accept.

In her newfound role, Helen finds herself torn between one of her heroic protectors and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who nearly destroyed her.

Now, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

Blurb by Dial Books
- - -

I know I am little late reading this one, but Michelle is one of my all time favourite authors and I really feel like her work is extremely underrated. A Temptation of Angels certainly did not disappoint as it has fast become my favourite book written by Michelle.

The storyline was extremely gripping and really sucked you in from the first page. I loved that it was fast paced and didn't leave you bored at any second, because the beginning of some books can be a real drag, but Temptation just jumped right into it and got the story rolling pretty quickly.

I also loved the setting of the novel, Michelle always does a brilliant job of creating a dark, gothic old fashioned era, and it works really well as the backdrop of the story.

One thing I had disliked about Michelle's other novels in the Prophecy of the Sisters series, was that even though there were three books, I felt that there was still little character development and I struggled to get more into the story. I am extremely glad to say that the character development in Temptation was fantastic! I thought she created a great set of characters, and I was really able to connect with and understand each and every one.

Another thing I also found that the Prophecy of the Sisters series lacked, was good romance! I can safely say that that was definitely no issue in Temptation! It had the perfect amount of romance, without overpowering the storyline or turning it into a soppy goop! By reading the blurb I thought that it was going to be just another regular love triangle story, but this was certainly not your average triangle! The way that it comes together is really brilliant and thoughtful, I really understood the outcome due to the incredible character development.

One thing I also really loved when reading this story, was Helen herself.  It was nice to see a girl in an old fashioned setting surrounded by men, still extremely strong and determined, even though this was a time when woman had little rights and were not seen as equals to men. She reminded me of many strong willed woman from books of authors such as Jane Austen, except with a much more action packed storyline!

The cover of this book is also GORGEOUS! I no joke found myself stroking the beauty of this cover... no.. I'm the only one who does it..?
The pages are also just as beautiful, as each new chapter is covered in this gorgeous black smoke, which you can see in one of my photos, but I don't think it does it enough justice.

The only negative I can think of is that it ended slightly too quickly. I found that the story wasn't enough to be turned into a series, but the end was still a little fast. This however, was a not a big problem and the story was concluded quite well.

I absolutely LOVED this book and I definitely recommend it! As I stated before, Michelle is quite an underrated author, and I would love for her books to gain more notice.
This book would also make a great film, so for any of you producers out there, this would be amazing on the big screen ;)
Four stars!

Please leave a comment below, I would love to hear how you are all going!
-Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment