Saturday 29 June 2013

MOVIE REVIEW - Despicable Me 2 (2013)

Title: Despicable Me 2

Director: Pierre Coffin

Starring: Steve Carell, Kristen Wig, Miranda Cosgrove, Russell Brand & Ken Jeong

Released: 2013

Rating: ★★★

I was so excited to go and see Despicable Me 2 last night...hey, you are never too old for cartoons...! And believe me, I was not the only one. The cinema was pretty packed out with people of all ages, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that others loved the first movie as much as I did!

- - -

So Despicable Me 2 continues on from the first movie, with ex super villain Gru leaving his past behind him and entering the world of parenthood, fathering three orphans who he adopted in the first film; Margo, Edith and Agnes.
Gru is suddenly kidnapped by a mysterious agent, who takes him to an underwater lair. He soon discovers that the agency, the AVL (Anti-Villain League), kidnapped him to ask if he would go undercover on their next mission, as he has the expertise and knowledge of being a villain. The mission consists of Gru disguising as a cupcake shop owner in a mall, to investigate the suspects (all store owners in the mall) who are believed to have stolen a formula which turns any animal into a mutant. Gru, annoyed at the AVL kidnapping him and happy with his new lifestyle, refuses to participate in the mission, but after further encouragement agrees.
And on top of saving the world, a family to run and a love interest, Gru has certainly set himself up for one hell of an adventure.

- - -

I definitely enjoyed watching Despicable Me 2 and it definitely did the movie franchise justice.
The storyline they chose was great because it brought together a lot of different genres; action, comedy, romance. It really is a great movie for the family, because people of all ages will love it!

The one thing I must comment on first, and the thing I believe stole the show was Gru's minions. They were certainly a highlight in the first film, and did not let down in the second. I could see myself going to watch a spin off with purely just the minions! These little guys are hilarious and had everybody laughing out loud! If somebody can teach me minion talk, please give me a call.

The next thing which Despicable Me would not be the same without, is the three children Margo, Edith and Agnes. In this film, Margo meets the boy of her dreams and Gru, like any other overprotective dad, does anything he can to separate them. I loved this storyline because not only was it was extremely comical, but it also highlighted Gru's love and protection for the girls.
And Agnes, who can resist those eyes? Whenever she is on the screen my mind is just saying awwwwww! So cute!

Gru also has found love in this film, and my, is it just so adorable! But don't worry, I wont spoil much of that for you! ;)


The animation of Despicable Me is also fantastic! There was one point in the film where two characters were in the middle of the ocean, and boy I actually thought it was real water. The 3D glasses even had me reaching out in front of me. I don't care if I got some weird looks...

Overall Despicable Me 2 was a fun, enjoyable movie which I would definitely recommend you go see with the family or if your up for a laugh! Three stars.

Next stop, Monsters University.

Have you seen any new films lately, or are planning to? Let me know in the comments below!

-Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment