Sunday 16 June 2013

BOOK REVIEW - Beneath the Glitter by Elle and Blair Fowler

Hello, hello, how has everybody been?

If you don't already know who Elle and Blair are, they are Youtube beauty gurus, and first time authors. Beneath the Glitter is loosely based on their lives and their fame through Youtube. As a viewer of Elle and Blair's video content on Youtube, I had been really excited to finally get a hold and read this novel!

I hadn't actually read some chick-lit in a while, so here are my thoughts:







Title: Beneath the Glitter

Author (or in this case Authors): Elle and Blair Fowler

Published: 2012

Rating: ★★ 1/2

Welcome to a place where dreams are made.  And where nothing—and no one—is ever what it seems.After their make-up and fashion videos went viral on YouTube, sisters Sophia and Ava London are thrust into the exclusive life of the Los Angeles elite.  Here fabulous parties, air kisses, paparazzi and hot guys all come with the scene. Sophia finds herself torn between a gorgeous bartender and a millionaire playboy, and Ava starts dating an A-list actor.  But as they’re about to discover, the life they’ve always dreamed of comes with a cost.

Beneath the glitter of the Hollywood social scene lies a world of ruthless ambition, vicious gossip…and betrayal.  Someone close to them, someone they trust, is working in the shadows to bring the London sisters falling down. And once the betrayal is complete, Sophia and Ava find themselves knee-deep in a scandal that could take away everything they care about, including the one thing that matters most—each other.

Blurb by St. Martin's Griffin

- - -


Okay I don't exactly know where to start with this book, so I guess I am just going to dive into my notes and go from there.

So after two chapters of reading this book I had kind of already established what I had thought of it. And it wasn't exactly that great.
It actually reminded me of something that I would of thought up when I was a little younger, like a 'made up' story. And I know that sounds ridiculous. ALL stories are made up. But I still like to pretend they're real. Like to be able to live within the novel through whatever is being written.
But Beneath the Glitter was just giving me some artificial world, and quite a predictable storyline.

The writing just has a lot of dialog and descriptions of people and places. They didn't do too badly in the character development department, but I would have liked to see a little more.
I definitely feel that younger readers would really enjoy this, yet I felt that it was meant to be written for an older audience.

I would however, really like to point out that Elle and Blair did a pretty good job for writing a novel with little experience, and I know I am totally making this book sound terrible, but it actually wasn't that bad.

HOLD UP. I must be confusing you.

I would definitely call this book a guilty pleasure, because despite the predictable storyline and not so great writing, I actually kind of found myself getting pretty addicted to it once the storyline started to get rolling... okay maybe a bit more than a little.
I really began to look forward to reading it.


Oh and did I mention that the cover of this book is actually really cute?

Although the storyline was based around Elle and Blair's life and fame around Youtube, Youtube itself wasn't a big part of the story and it was only mentioned a few times within the book.

The book ended with a mystery and was intended to leave the reader guessing, even though I think I have nailed what is going to happen (very unsubtle villains :P).

I can certainly say though, that I am looking forward to the sequel which comes out next month I believe, and is titled Where Beauty Lies. When the time comes I will do a review of that and tell you guys what I think!

I spent a while thinking of my rating for this novel, and I was very close to boosting it due to my slight addiction, but once I had weighed out my thoughts and read over my notes I knew that two and a half stars was pretty fair.

So tell me, are you a viewer of Elle and Blair and have you read Beneath the Glitter? If so, leave a comment below. And if you haven't, leave one anyway, because I love to hear from you guys!

Until next time,
-Bee











No comments:

Post a Comment