Saturday 8 June 2013

MOVIE REVIEW - Beautiful Creatures (2013)


Title: Beautiful Creatures

Director: Richard LaGravenese

Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Alice Englert, Jeremy Irons, Emma Thompson & Viola Davis

Released: 2013

Rating: ★★★ 1/2


Time has certainly flown since my last post! I feel pretty bad for already needing to give excuses, but I have had a seriously busy month! Could you ever forgive me..? *Bats eyelashes*

Well today I will be reviewing Beautiful Creatures as you can see by the title. This movie came out a few months ago and I totally missed it in cinema! I haven't read any of the books (I have heard they are quite good), so my review will be from a complete outsider!

- - -

So Beautiful Creatures follows a boy called Ethan Wate, who lives in  a small, secluded town called Gatlin. Ethan wishes to escape Gatlin, and plans on applying to the farthest college possible once he graduates.
But something stops him in his tracks, as the mysterious girl that he has dreamed about for months has suddenly moved to Gatlin... and she is not all that she seems.
As strange events start to take place after her arrival, Ethan discovers that she bares a dark secret, one that has deadly possibilities.

- - -

The first thing I would like to say about Beautiful Creatures is that I was glad it was in the point of view and narrated by a male. It is more often that I see movies like this told by the female so it was a nice change.

Prior to watching, I had read many mixed reviews about this movie, people who loved it, people who didn't, and people who were just so-so. It has also been stated many times that it is just a Twilight rip off, but I highly disagree.
Yes, I did think of Twilight at some points because of whole paranormal relationship thing, but that's really as far as it goes.

Beautiful Creatures definitely deserved a lot more recognition than it has received, as it is an extremely underrated movie. I mean if Twilight has grown into the success that it has, I really am stumped at why Beautiful Creatures has not taken off.

First of all, the acting is fantastic! It isn't exactly an all star cast (Wait.. except for Professor Trelawney from Harry Potter) but they have still done a really great job with casting! The two leads Alden and Alice (wow they sound like a couple) I had never seen before, but I will definitely be looking out for more of their work in the future.

This movie also had a great set of characters, many refreshing personalities and each were developed really well.
The costuming of this film I also have to make a note of, I loved the whole 1800's gothic vibe!

I can say that I really enjoyed Beautiful Creatures and found myself genuinely wanting to see the next one. I would definitely recommend this film. I hope that they will be able to make a sequel, as the low income has made an unsteady future for the series. *Crosses fingers* Please do not let this be another Golden Compass!

Three and a half stars.

- - -

Please tell me in the comments below if you have read or seen Beautiful Creatures, and I would be really interested to know, if you have read the books, what you thought of the movie. Oh and do you think they are worth the read? I have been thinking about it for a while!

Oh and thumbs up for 10th post guys ;)

-Bee




6 comments:

  1. Nice review!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend, Bee!!! g+ and like for you!!!.)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcela! :) x

      -Bee

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your comment!
      Have a nice day, dear Bee!!

      Besos, Marcela♥

      Delete
    3. No problem! Thank you Marcela! :) xx

      -Bee

      Delete
  2. I've read the book but haven't seen the movie yet. :( It makes me sad to hear how poorly it did at the box office so I'm thinking there is a good chance no sequel will be made, but you never know! I definitely need to get my butt in gear and rent it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really feel it did deserve more notice! I will have to read the books in order to compare. Tell me if you like it! :)

      -Bee
      justanotherbloodyreadingblog.blogspot.com.au

      Delete