Saturday 22 June 2013

MOVIE REVIEW - Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)

Title: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

Director: Tommy Wirkola

Starring: Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Famke Janssen & Peter Stormare

Released: 2013

Rating: ★★★

This film has been getting pretty mixed reviews, but here is what I thought of it!

- - -


We all know the classic Hansel and Gretel tale right? Well Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters has taken the story to a whole new level.

The movie begins with the classic Hansel and Gretel tale. Two kids get thrown into the woods by their evil step-mother. They find a house made of Candy which is occupied by a witch. She tries to eat them, but they push her into an oven (wow, and these are called fairy tales?!) But instead of just ending there, fast forward fifteen years and Hansel and Gretel are now super hot and famous witch hunters.

The two are called to the town of Augsburg, where they are to investigate the strange disappearances of several children in the area. And these are no ordinary disappearances, because yes, you guessed it, witches are behind them.

- - -

I actually really enjoyed watching Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, even though it kind of wasn't what I expected. I really liked the concept of the movie and it was quite a new fresh twist on the tale. I'm really digging the whole fairy tale remakes right now.

Even though the story is set quite a long time ago and the set looks old fashioned, the characters and the script is very modern and I quite liked the contrast.

The acting was all round fairly good in the movie, but I really enjoyed seeing Gemma Arterton play Gretel. I was a huge fan of her in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and although she plays a completely different character in H&G, she still nailed the sexy and feisty persona.
Even though Jeremy Renner is such a familiar face, I haven't actually seen a whole load of his movies, but I will definitely be checking some out as I thought he did a great job as Hansel!

Now it's that time for the not so great things about the film.

First off some of the graphics in the film weren't that great, mostly it was the design of the creatures, which was a bit of a let down but I know that the film didn't have the biggest budget.

Secondly, and probably my biggest qualm with the film (and I have noticed other peoples biggest qualms), was the amount of fake blood and random gore.  I mean, don't get me wrong, some of the action was totally amazing but some of it I just found it really over the top. The movie would have been a lot better and a lot less cliché without it. Luckily this didn't overpower the film, as thankfully, there wasn't that much of it.

I did however, really enjoy the ending, which wasn't that cliché and was pretty bad ass. ;)

I'm going to give this three stars, because I genuinely did enjoy it.
Oh and just warning guys, this is definitely not a family film.. :P

Have a great weekend,

-Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment